Embark on a 5 month journey to deepen your practice and become a certified yoga teacher
Gertrude Street Yoga’s 200 hour Yoga Alliance registered Teacher Training is an invitation to step beyond your comfort zone and challenge yourself; inspiring your development as a yoga teacher and as an individual. This comprehensive 200 hour training provides the foundational tools to become a yoga teacher, including yoga philosophy, physical and energetic anatomy, asana, pranayama, meditation, mantra and voice, personal development, as well as plenty of teaching methodology and practice. Taking this journey with a group of people who have come together for the purpose of transformation, education, and discovery creates a powerful connection and inspired community, which is at the heart of GSY and our approach to yoga. Not only will this training prepare you to be a confident and authentic yoga teacher, but it will also provide you with a powerful platform to dive deeper into your own journey of living the practice of yoga.
This 200hr training consists of 5 sessions over the course of 5 months led by a collective of incredible yoga teachers each bringing their unique experience, knowledge, and guidance.
Laying the Foundation
Module 1, 2, 3 (2, 3, 4 February & 23, 24, 25 February & 16, 17, 18 March)
Develop a comprehensive foundation for becoming a yoga teacher. Explore the rich history and philosophy of yoga, study the Yoga Sutras and the Bhagavad Gita, and discuss what it means to be a yoga teacher today. Learn basic Anatomy and Physiology in an applied, functional way, and explore the Anatomy of the Energetic Body. Understand the alignment of foundational yoga poses, and how to teach basic sequences using a practical, integrated, and authentic approach.
- Develop an understanding of the history and philosophy of Yoga
- Study basic anatomy and physiology
- Study the subtle body
- Learn fundamental asana, basic sequences, and how to teach them
- Embark on a journey of self discovery
Discovering the Teacher Within
Module 4 (15-22 April in Bali)
Dive into the heart of the training and discover the teacher within. Practice daily pranayama, mantra, meditation, and asana and take the time to develop your unique voice and gifts as a yoga teacher. Integrate your knowledge of anatomy, the subtle body, and philosophy, and explore how to apply it directly to your teaching. Learn effective and authentic teaching methods which will enable you to create meaningful, inspiring classes that draw on authentic, lived experience.
- Explore pranayama, mantra, and meditation
- Integrate your knowledge of anatomy, the subtle body, and philosophy
- Expand your knowledge of asana, alignment, and sequencing
- Develop practical teaching skills
- Learn how to assist safely and effectively
- Step beyond your comfort zone and challenge yourself, inspiring transformation and cultivating authenticity
Refining the Art of Teaching
Module 5 (18, 19, 20 May)
Refine your teaching skills and integrate your knowledge as you prepare to teach and assist in classes. Learn about different yoga specialities and understand the business of being a yoga teacher. Receive one on one mentoring and coaching to clarify your goals and support your ongoing development. Gain practical teaching experience, and valuable feedback from teachers and peers.
- Apply your study of asana, alignment, anatomy, sequencing, and teaching methods to develop creative and authentic class plans
- Gain practical experience assisting and teaching in classes
- Explore various specialties such as Yin and Prenatal Yoga and learn how tailor your teaching to the individual needs and circumstances of your students
- Investigate ways of taking yoga off the mat to affect social change and make a positive difference in the world
- Understand the business aspects of becoming a yoga teacher
- Receive one on one support through mentoring and coaching
- Integrate your knowledge and experiences to create a powerful platform for living the practice of yoga
Intensives integrated learning
2, 3, 4 February 2018
23, 24, 25 February 2018
16, 17, 18 March 2018
18, 19, 20 May 2018
These 3 day weekend intensives are designed to integrate with your life; allowing you to incorporate and digest what you are learning into your regular routine. Each weekend will cover a variety of topics designed to bring you the course material in an integrated and cohesive way. In between each weekend you will receive readings and assignments that prepare you for the next session.
Immersion 1 Week in Bali
This week long intensive in Bali is the heart of the course. Living in community allows the group to develop a powerful connection and facilitates the ongoing journey of self-discovery and transformation. Without the distractions and commitments of every day life, you will have the opportunity to completely immerse yourself and awaken the teacher within. The immersion is held at Gaia Oasis in Bali.
Mentoring 1 on 1 program
Times and Dates TBD (based on your availability)
The mentoring program is an amazing opportunity to receive one on one support. After returning from Bali you will commit to assisting in 1 class per week for 4 weeks. The teacher of that class will be your mentor and give you individualised feedback and advice. In addition you will have the opportunity to receive a one on one coaching session from a Certified Coach to assist in clarifying your goals and creating a plan as you prepare to finish the course.
Pricing and Payment
>> 30+ days before course start date: 100% refund (excludes $500 deposit)
>> 20-30 days before the course start date: 50% refund (excludes $500 deposit)
>> 10-20 days before the course start date: 25% refund (excludes $500 deposit)
>> 0 – 10 days before the course start date: No refund
If for extenuating circumstances you are unable to complete the course once you have commenced, the best course of action will be assessed on a case by case basis.
Yoga Alliance Curriculum
This course fulfills the curriculum requirements of Yoga Alliance listed below and goes beyond the minimum number of hours required.
- Techniques, Training and Practice 100hrs
- Teaching Methodology 25hrs
- Anatomy & Physiology 20hrs
- Yoga Philosophy/Ethics/Lifestyle 30hrs
- Practicum 10hrs
- Electives 15hr
- TOTAL 200hrs
The texts listed below are indications of the required reading. Specifics of the texts (editions, volumes etc.) will be supplied on acceptance into the program.
- Yoga, Mind, Body, and Spirit by Donna Farhi
- The Bhagavad Gita
- Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff
- The Yoga Sutras
- Various Handouts